Birding the Valdivian Rainforest
In Birding the Valdivian Rainforest we visit the Alerce Andino National Park, full of trees dripping with mosses and ferns. This park is simply a fabulous experience. The humid forests with exuberant understory hide numerous specialist species, often betrayed by their booming calls filling the forest.
Undoubtedly the kings of this forest are the spectacular Tapaculos. The large species Chucao Tapaculo and Black-throated Huet-huet, fill the air with their loud calls. For many this is the typical sound of southern Chile. Although they often scurry unseen between the undergrowth, playback can brings them darting out onto the trails.
While searching for them, we should also find Des Mur’s Wiretail, White-throated Treerunner, the abundant Thorn-tailed Rayadito, Ochre-flanked and Magellanic Tapaculo, Green-backed Firecrown, Austral Pygmy-owl, and with a little bit of luck, Magellanic Woodpecker and Patagonian Tyrant.
Birding the Valdivian Rainforest can easily be combined with our tour Chiloé Island: Penguin Colony and mudflats.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
This tour can be booked any day throughout the year.
- A bonanza of forest Tapaculos
- Lush primary rainforest
- All the forest specialists of southern Chile are on offer
- Relaxed pace. The day will be spend walking the trails of the park.
Ease of Birding
- Many of the forest species are easy to see. Although, some understory species can sometimes be tricky. We will have ample time to tease out the skulkers of the forest.
- Pick-up/drop-off at your hotel in Puerto Montt or from cruise port
- Transport: SUV for 1-3 people, minivan for 4-6 people
- English speaking guide with birding equipment
- Snacks (fruit, nuts, cereal bars, water)
- Picnic lunch
- Park entrance fees
- eBird checklists for the day’s stops
BIRDING THE VALDIVIAN RAINFOREST
Starting time: pick-up at your hotel in Puerto Montt around 6:30 a.m. Note that starting may vary slightly depending on time of sunrise.
See map insert for an overview of the route and main hotspots visited during the tour.
Ending time: drop-off at your hotel in Puerto Montt around 5:30 p.m.