Highlands and Wetlands – serious birders onlyfrom
If you are short on time and want to see as many birds as possible in one day, and are ready to bird from dawn to dusk, then Highlands and Wetlands is the day trip for you!
This trip is designed to cover a wide range of habitats and elevation. From the diverse Batuco wetlands near Santiago to the high mountains near Farellones.
We can manage to see over 100 species in one day!
This tour can easily be combined with other day tours out of Santiago, to see the Diademed Sandpiper-Plover, the Pacific Coast or a pelagic into the Humboldt Current.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Birding
Private trips can be organized on any day from September to May.
- Most of Chile’s endemics in one day
- Large and diverse flocks of waterfowl
- Condors soaring at a short distance
- Incredible mountain landscapes
- Moderate pace – short and easy walks at each stop, but birding from dawn to dusk
Ease of Birding
- Most species show easily, with some trickier skulking species
- Transport (1-3 SUV, 4-6 minivan),
- Pick up/drop off at your hotel in Santiago/airport,
- English speaking guide with birding equipment,
- Snack (water, fruit, cereal bar),
- Park entrance fee.
HIGHLANDS AND WETLANDS NEAR SANTIAGO
Starting time: pick-up at your hotel in Santiago around 6:30 a.m. Note that starting may vary slightly depending on time of sunrise.
See map insert for an overview of the route and main hotspots visited during the tour.
Ending time: drop-off at your hotel in Santiago around 5:30 p.m.