Santiago Photo Hide and Batuco Wetlandsfrom
The day starts with us picking you up from your hotel and making our way to an exclusive Photo Hide located on the outskirts of Santiago. This comfortable hide has various natural perches and a spectacular reflecting pool. There is a long list of species that you can get great close-up shots of, including Long-tailed Meadowlark, Picui Ground-Dove, California Quail, Chimango Caracara, Green-backed Firecrown, Oasis Hummingbird, Eared Dove, Diuca Finch, Black-chinned Siskin, Austral Thrush, Shiny Cowbird, Mourning Sierra-Finch, Fire-eyed Diucon, Striped Woodpecker. We will spend the morning at the hide, enjoying the visiting birds.
Afterwards, we will continue to the Batuco Wetland complex. This is the largest inland wetland of central Chile and with more than 150 species recorded, it is one of the Chile’s most species-rich hotspots. The main lagoonhas an excellent boardwalk where we can scan for many waterfowl species; including some specialties like Black-headed Duck and Rosy-billed Pochard. In the extensive reedbeds we can find Many-colored Rush-Tyrants, Wren-like Rushbirds and Yellow-winged Blackbirds. In winter months, this area congregated a large population of Andean Geese and the migrant Patagonian Forest Earthcreepers.
We will also look for some more difficult and rare species, like South-American Painted-Snipe, Ticking Doradito (a recent split from Warbling Doradito), Black Rail, and Stripe-backed Bittern.
We will have lunch on the road and after our visit to Batuco Wetlands return to your hotel in Santiago. B-L
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Wildlife Photography
- Fantastic photography opportunities at a comfortable photo hide
- Afternoon of photography and birding at a diverse wetland for waterfowl and reedbed specialists
- Relaxed pace; short easy walks
Ease of Birding
- Most species show easily, with some trickier skulking species
- Full day of birding/photography at the photo hide and Batuco Wetlands
- Entrance to an exclusive-private photohide with breakfast included
- Transport: SUV for 1-3 people, minivan for 4 people
- Pick-up/drop-off at your hotel in Santiago
- English speaking guide with birding equipment
- Snacks (fruit, nuts, cereal bars, water)
- Lunch menu included
- Park entrance fees
- eBird checklists for the day’s stops
- Meals not mentioned
- Voluntary tips
- Alcoholic drinks
- Á la carte dishes
- Extra transfers or assistance
- Bank and visa fees
- Anything not mentioned above or in the itinerary
PHOTO HIDE & BATUCO WETLANDS
Starting time: pick-up at your hotel in Santiago around 6:30 a.m. Note that starting may vary slightly depending on time of sunrise.
Ending time: drop-off at your hotel in Santiago around 5:30 p.m.